Making My Skin Even Better

Dealing With Eczema

by Virgil Mccoy

Does your face sometimes itch severely and shortly afterward a red rash appear? Have you noticed that other areas of your body randomly experience the same problem? The symptoms that you have might point to a condition called eczema, which can be put under control by visiting a dermatologist for professional treatment. The dermatologist will first have to do a few things to confirm that you actually have eczema, as there are other conditions that can cause the same type of symptoms. The content below provides a few things about eczema that you might want to know about.

The Various Types of Eczema

There isn't a single type of eczema that can develop, which is why a proper diagnosis by a dermatologist is important. A common form of the condition is known as atopic dermatitis, and it tends to develop due to genetics. Stasis dermatitis can also develop, which is common in people that have blood circulation problems in areas of their body, such as in the legs. Exposure to fungus can produce a form of eczema in some people. Irritant dermatitis is one of the common types, as it can develop from cleaning skin in an excessive manner.

Eczema Symptoms That Are Common

Unusually red skin is one of the most common symptoms of eczema no matter which form of it you might have. It is likely that the red area of your skin will also be slightly raised, which appears as patches. The red patches can develop on various areas of skin, but will usually be found on the face and can cause embarrassment. Eczema patches are usually abnormally itching and can lead to you scratching too much and cause additional irritation. You might also notice the appearance of bumps in the red patches.

The Type of Treatment to Expect

Eczema treatments are done in various ways, as the specific cause and type that you have must be considered. Getting rid of eczema can be difficult without the proper type of therapy and medication. You might also have to change your diet, such as if you are allergic to certain foods. Topical steroids are often prescribed by dermatologists to treat the condition, and there are other types that can be used as well. For example, a dermatologist might recommend that your steroids are injected if your form of eczema is severe enough and the topical form isn't bringing any satisfactory results.